Iran International: On the eve of the second anniversary of Iran’s November 2019 protests, a People’s Tribunal organized by human rights advocates has opened in London Wednesday.
The protests were the bloodiest in Iran’s history with security forces opening fire on demonstrators in many cities, killing hundreds.
On Wednesday, the counsel and panel of the three-day Iran Atrocities Tribunal heard the process and methodology used for gathering evidence and the testimonies of the witnesses and victims and security procedures to protect witnesses. It then proceeded to hearing the first witness, Amin Ansarifar, via video-link from Iran through a translator.
Ansarifar is testifying about the death of his son, Farzad who was a bystander shot in Behbahan in southern Iran. “The autopsy showed that my son had been shot in the head with a Kalashnikov,” he said adding that the weapon is a standard issue used by all security forces including the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) and the police.
He also said the family had been told by the authorities not to publicize the death of his son and that he filed a complaint with the authorities to no avail. Ansarifard said family members including his daughter and brother have been harassed and prosecuted for propaganda against the regime and talking to foreign-based media.
After hearing the evidence and deliberating, the panel of the Tribunal will determine whether crimes under international law have been committed by Iranian state forces and paramilitaries during the protests. The panel will also identify the perpetrators in its final judgment.
International People's Tribunal on Iran's atrocities of November 2019 is underway in London. https://t.co/TI9X6Sp8DZ
— Iran International English (@IranIntl_En) November 10, 2021