First Name and Last Name:
Seyed Mohammad Reza Mavalizadeh (a.k.a. Seyyed Mohammad-Reza Mawalizadeh/Siyyid Mohammad-Reza Mawalizadeh)
Born on 1960/1961 (?) in Khoramshahr.
Titles and Positions Held:
– Deputy of parliamentary affairs in Ministry of Cooperative, Labour & Social Welfare Since Oct 2008
– Head of political office in Ministry of Interior till March 2007
-Khuzestan representative in 5th Majlis from March 1996 to March 2000
– Permanent secretary of Parliament’s executive board in 3rd year of the fifth term of Majlis
Witness Accounts of Alleged Violations and Crimes:
When he was the director of the political office of the Ministry of Interior, Syed Mohammad Reza Mavalizadeh was involved in the violation of the civil and human rights of members of the Bahá’í community just because of their religious beliefs.
He issued a letter during his post asking all governors and province security offices to:
“…order the relevant offices to cautiously and carefully monitor and manage the Bahá’ís’] social activities and complete the requested information on the enclosed form and forward it to this office…”
He also stated:
“…Bahá’í followers are attempting to teach and spread the ideology of Bahá’ísm, under the cover of social and economic activities. In view of the fact that this sect is illegal and that it is exploited by international and Zionist organisations against the government of the Islamic Republic of Iran….”
These types of surveillance orders have played a significant role in preventing and restricting the access of Bahá’í community members to their right to work and right to free choice of employment.
- Link to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights outlining the Articles pertaining to social and human rights of all people, including that “Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance” (Article 18):
- Document regarding the background of Mavalizadeh: http://www.mcls.gov.ir/fa/news/15028
- News report indicating the appointment of Mavalizadeh to his position as the director of the political office of the Ministry of Interior: http://www.mehrnews.com/fa/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsID=460927
- Official site of the Islamic Republic Parliament indicating his position: http://rc.majlis.ir/fa/parliament_member/show/761458
- Official Islamic Republic site indicating Mavalizadeh’s previous positions within the administration:http://hvm.ir/print.asp?id=5341
- The following is a copy of the letter dated 28 Mordad 1385 (19 August 2006) signed by Mavalizadeh
 For an English translation of the letter, please see: http://www.iranrights.org/english/document-271.php